Wednesday, June 19, 2024

We broke a mechanic...

Yesterday we got a call from the mechanic who was going to help us with the pump change. He got hurt and is out of service. It doesn't sound like he got hurt too badly but a sprained knee would be enough to keep me out of our engine hole. I certainly wouldn't ask anyone else to crawl in there injured.

The folks here at the marina offered us a couple of options for alternate mechanics. Deb left a message with the first on on their list and just a few minutes later got a call back. The gentleman jumped right in to helping us work out a plan. Like me, he suspects that the pump has reached the end of its service life. We agreed to him doing the job so he went to work sourcing parts.  Deb and I debated as to just how long and how much this might cost. Given how things have gone so far we were thinking big numbers of dollars and a long delay.



An hour or so later, the mechanic called back. He found a pump that would be at his shop this afternoon. Tomorrow he will come and replace it. The pump cost was way, way, less than we had guessed. Labor will be what labor will be. Shop to boat to repair to shop times whatever the hourly rate. I was a mechanic for a long time. I understand and have no complaint. Still, it was suggested that, since I can find my way around an engine a little bit, that I drain the system so they can pull the pump as soon as they get here. So Deb and I got that done yesterday.

I would pull the pump as well, but I suspect that thing is original equipment. I give it a better than 50/50 chance that one of the mount bolts shears off, leaving a drill/easy-out/tap/helicoil repair. I'll pay for it either way, but I'd rather they shear the bolt instead of me.  

In spite of our run of mechanical glitches, or maybe because of them, this trip has had us working with a string of really impressive, professional, friendly, and helpful people. Something that hasn't always been our experience when it comes to the marine industry. Maybe it is simply a matter of not being in Florida anymore. That state's efforts to drive cruisers out is pretty common knowledge. Whatever the reason, and in spite of our breakdowns, so far we have found that the further North we go the better it seems to get for those of us who live on a boat.

As soon as the repair is finished, we will likely head back over to the anchorage and wait on a weather window. Given the number of boats that motored out of here this morning it looks like we missed another one today. And so it goes.


Friends Taija and Janet leaving on Endeavor in the fog.


No comments: