Sunday, July 21, 2013

With a CAPITAL P

PURGE, that is. I spent Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday in our garage. We've lived in this place for 12 years now, and that time encompasses 5 years of house projects and 7 years of boat projects so our garage was filled with project leftovers. Wood scraps, one-purpose tools, boat bits removed from Kintala, piles of stuff to go to the kids, scrap metal, camping gear, and junk. Did I say junk? And this all was after having purged several pickup loads worth of stuff from the house when the kids moved in with us two years ago. In my defense, when the kids moved out after a year of living with us, I determined not to fill up the rooms, closets, and drawers vacated by their stuff and I have, for the most part, managed to do that. It still boggles my mind how much stuff two stuff-haters can accumulate in that time.

Friday I made the trip to the boat and began the same process on the lockers. I hauled loads to the dumpster, I hauled stuff to the picnic tables under the pavilion and put a "free" sign, and I hauled some stuff home to go to Goodwill. With every minute I am becoming a stuff-hater with even more vengeance than before.

It rules your life people, so travel light and be happy.

2 comments:

Mike M. said...

Amen to that! We downsized from a four bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment recently (http://siochana.us/2013/04/size-doesnt-matter/), ridding ourselves of years worth of accumulated junk. Felt so good!

Mike

Unknown said...

Man I wish I had known you were going to do that! Manana is still floating on her lines so I'm sure there would have been room for several more items that I wouldn;t use.