Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Just Poking Along...

Time has slowed to a bit of a crawl as I recover. I feel pretty good all things considered, but there is still a dull but persistent ache around the implant, and the wound has yet to heal over completely. Normally being this inactive would result in a serious case of boredom driving both of us crazy. But I am kind of enjoying not having much to do. Deb and I take long walks and indulge in an occasional treat at The Bean. Much of my time is spent making music with the various Ukes we brought along. Deb puts her guitar (and the baritone Uke) to regular use as well. The electric table top drum kit and pan drum have remained silent as I am not convinced my left side can take a drum pounding.  I also spend a lot of time just watching the world go by from the fly bridge or aft deck. Dolphins, otters, fish, and a squad of different birds spend the day ruffling the waters around our slip. Though I don't really understand why, I am encouraged by the knowledge that they would be doing what they do regardless of me being around to watch, or not. All of human kind will disappear at some point in a cosmic second, with our entire history forgotten, and the universe will not even notice. Knowing that, one would think we would treat each other better than we do. Evidence, perhaps, that we are not nearly as intelligent as we think we are.


Though dogging along at the moment, we are slowly getting back to the routine of getting ready to go. A day or so ago the good folks from the engine shop dropped off the revived Dink motor. Not only did they deliver it, but they mounted it on the Dink and fired it up. It takes a bit of a pull to get it started but Deb handled it without problem. It will be a while before I am yanking on the thing. After they left we took the Dink out for a short cruise, me sitting in the front. I was never particularly comfortable in Kintala's Dink. First Light's, with its hard floor and bigger motor, should soften my dislike for Dink travel. As should have been expected, one of those center console fishing boats cut in front of us during the test run, throwing a pretty good wake. Deb slowed up and turned bow in, but I got a bath anyway. For some reason they slowed down about the time water came pouring over our bow. I guess pulling one's head out of one's ass is still better done late then never. Since I enjoy anchoring out far more than being on a dock, Dink travel is a necessity—even with the occasional waterway bonehead encounter. But I don't have to like it.

With the motor mounted and the test ride over, we gave the new lifting rig its first real test. It worked better than the old rig but it is still a serious bit of lift for a single person to handle. There were many times on Kintala that, after a long day's sail, we were just too tired to wrestle the Dink into the water, mount the engine, and go exploring. Something we do not want to be the case with First Light. So we wandered down to the hardware store and then the marine supply store to see what we might come up with to make Dink launch and stow easy. At the second stop we found a small used winch that appeared to be in pretty good shape. They were willing to part with it for a fraction of a boat buck. We mounted it in the aft cockpit which gave us the final bit of lift we need to get the dink and motor out of the water with just a modest amount of effort. Once we were sure it would work, we added a small cleat and a thing to hold the winch handle and line when the Dink is up and secured.

Dow Corning 795 is awesome stuff for bedding
hardware of any kind

It was a project I thought easy enough to tackle without compromising my recovery. But (now don't be surprised) we got into things a bit deeper than anticipated by pulling the haws horn unit to see if it provided access to mount a backing plate for the winch. Getting it free of the aft bulkhead turned into a wrestling match that was more than enough for my left side. Deb took over and the unit eventually admitted defeat and came free. Unfortunately, it didn't provide the access we thought since there is a solid block of wood that the haws is mounted through.  We had hoped that the wood was big enough to catch the winch as well, but it didn't work out that way. After some debate we installed the winch as close to the wooden support as we could. It should work since the load is strait shear, but we will see. One thing is sure, getting the Dink + Motor up and on the swim platform is one-person easy now. I managed to rejoin the fray by drilling a few holes and installing some screws. 

There are other things I should be able to do. Another coat of teak oil on the rails as well as prepping and oiling the steps up to the fly bridge are high on my list. Those steps have been left raw. For me teak left to weather “naturally” marks a boat as wrecked, abandoned, or neglected. (Your opinion may very, no offense intended.) It is our experience that teak oil doesn't make things too slippery to walk on and, with the rest of the boat starting to look pretty good, those steps stand out as major ugly.

While down in the engine room working on some lighting, Deb found a failed fastener on a shaft seal that also held the bonding wire. That will have to be addressed before we head out, but will have to wait a couple of weeks. My arm is not yet up to that kind of work in a confined space.

So we poke along pretty pleased that just poking along is still an option.




4 comments:

Phil Gee said...

It takes a while to get totally comfortable with an ICD (defib or pacemaker). In my case, a good few months to lift my arm much. Adapting to not pushing on that lump when leaning onto boat parts or corners to retrieve or access something took even a bit longer. After about a year I became generally comfortable with it and don't think about it very frequently any more. In my case the meds are doing pretty much all of the work and it's really just a backup (for now) and it hasn't kicked in yet. The whole business does do a number on one's perspectives on mortality, futility and what really does matter and what doesn't matter. Please do continue to take it easy and just build gradually. I'm glad you folks are back on the water. One of my favorite blogs of all time, and there aren't too many bloggers left!

TJ said...

Phil, thanks for the info. Going from being healthy and active to recovering from multiple cardiac arrest events and having an implant, all in the space of a few days? I'm still not sure what to think of my new status. But it would be silly to push things too hard as I am not really sure just how damaged I truly am. I have recovered from near fatal accidents and serious illness, but this is the first time my body has betrayed me, failing of its own accord. Getting my head around that is going to take some effort.

I know pretty much everything is video these days. But, truth is, I am more interested in what people write than I am in what they say. Writing requires that one think a bit and (at least for me) the first thing I type if often not what I really wanted to communicate. Even this comment has been revised several times as I hunt around for the words that best fit what I'm thinking. Worse, I suspect most people on a video are acting, not thinking. They want to make an impression first, communicate second...if at all. Hell, half the time when I'm just talking to someone I'll hear something I'm sure they wouldn't have said if they had a moment to think first. Part of the reason I'm not big on group gatherings is that everyone is talking, but (usually) very few are thinking.

And then there is this, most of what human kind has gathered up as wisdom is found in writing. Senica the Younger, Lau Tzu, Marcus Aurelius...it is a list thousands of years long. You just know they labored over their words trying to get it right. Video? Mostly nonsense and motivational speakers, whose real intent is to motivate you to send them some money.

I know I am a dinosaur, but I'm a content dinosaur just shuffling through each day.

s/v Sionna said...

As always, Tim, your observations match my own perceptions - and bring back great memories. May I assume that "The Bean" you mention is the one in Oriental? Love that spot!
Glad the healing continues, and that you're taking the time to heal up right. It's a bear, but you gotta do it at the body's own pace. Bravo to you both!

TJ said...

The Bean in Oriental indeed. I've been in a lot of coffee shops in a lot of places, The Bean ranks very near, if not at, the top of the list of the best of them all. In fact Oriental ranks high on my list of favorite small towns, particularly if one approaches it from the water. One catches sight of the break water first, then the fishing fleet comes into view as the channel leads to a pretty protected anchorage. Better yet if one of the free docks is open and one can tie up right across the street from The Bean while protected from the winds regardless of which way they blow. Hard to find a better set up for a long distance boater looking for a place to take a break, ride out some weather, or recover from a visit to the cardiac ICU.