Saturday, February 1, 2020

Winter Blues

It's a common ailment among homo sapiens, that winter blues thing so appropriately named Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD.) It's also the one thing that I never had to deal with in the years we were on the boat. The only winter blues I had to deal with were in choosing the shade - shall we pick the deep dark navy blue of the Gulfstream, or the Cyan of the waters in the Abaco Sea, or the Aquamarine of the shallow waters around Treasure Cay?

Now that we're back on land (albeit we hope temporarily,) the winter blues have struck with a vengeance. Surprising, the name Winter Blues, because the one color we absolutely never see in St. Louis in the winter is blue. Gray skies, gray trees, gray streets, gray buildings, gray snow...anything but blue. This year I thought I'd stave off the onset by purchasing one of those Seasonal Affective Disorder lamps, you know the kind you're supposed to sit in front of for a portion of the day, the kind that is supposed to mimic exposure to the sun. Not so much. Sitting in front of light that has absolutely no warmth just doesn't do the trick. It's a far cry from sitting in the cockpit with your face turned into the sun. I've tried to keep things at bay with a rigorous exercise routine (which is working some good,) and some yoga before bed but, in the meantime, I think gazing at these photos of the blue I long for might just be the best medicine.  Hope you enjoy them along with me.





















1 comment:

Tod Germanica said...

Thanks for the pics. It looks just like that down here in Todos Santos, Baja, BCS, Mexico. But I'm in a hotel. It's nice but it ain't no sailboat.
Venga con Dios.