Friday, July 17, 2015

The Friday Life

I remember it well, even now several years later. Sunday afternoon I would feel the weight beginning to descend on my shoulders, the muscles tightening. By Sunday night the restlessness would set in. I would sometimes be sick to my stomach. My sleep was disturbed. I had to go back to work early Monday morning.

I worked through my requisite 50 hours, just waiting out the time till we left for the boat on Friday. Good friends waited there, and Kintala waited with her warm, inviting salon and my familiar galley. The second the clock clicked over to 5:00 I was out the door. I was a happy camper.

Now on this side of the equation, I watch the workers around me. I see it in their faces, that distant look, the tightened shoulders, the firm set to their mouths. I feel for them. I remember the dream feeling so far away.

But now we're here. I'm so glad to be part of the Friday Life. Every day is the same sigh of relief. Every day is full of anticipation. Every day has time to enjoy the sunrise and the sunset and the odd cloud formations and the ripples in the water. Yesterday we had a visit from some long-time blog followers. Steve and Jan from Chestertown motored over in their Heritage East to spend some time celebrating the Friday Life with us and our friends David and Nancy. On Thursday. I was feeling incredibly blessed to have taken the leap of faith and gone cruising.



Won't you come join us?

1 comment:

Robert Sapp said...

I can honestly say that there hasn't been a single day since I retired back in January when I've awoken and said to myself, "Gee, I wish I was going to work today."

I know I'm off to a good start with this whole retirement thing, because I'm generally so busy that I don't know how I ever had time to spend 40 hours at the office every week! Taking care of a sailboat is a full time job.

Robert & Rhonda
S/V Eagle Too
www.LifeOnTheHook.com