Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Navionics review

As Tim has inferred here previously, I follow a lot of blogs in my Google Reader.  I've chosen them all very carefully, either for their cruising location, or their ideas, or their knowledge, or their departure timing, or their very helpful financial info, or their honesty, or their expertise, or their photography, or sometimes just for their sense of humor

Today I was pretty pleased to see a review in one of them for the Navionics software for the iPad, the way that I believe we will end up navigating although, being an Android junkie, we may end up doing it on a Motorola Xoom (gasp) instead. I thought I'd pass the link for the review along to you just in case you've wondered about it yourself.  Please comment if you've either tried it already or have done a ton of research on it.

4 comments:

Sabrina and Tom said...

I have used it for 11/2 yrs on my iPhone. Even though the screen was small it still worked well. I have it on my new iPad2 but haven't had a chance to try it on that. I must confess that it is not the primary. We use our Garmin as primary.

~~_/)~~
Sabrina

Robert Salnick said...

I have it on my iPhone and I have recommended it, as a backup to a full chartplotter. If you already have an iPhone or iPad, you can't beat a $10 backup chartplotter.

And more broadly, I am enjoying your blog! We got our sailing start on Lake Carlyle... but back then the biggest boat that I recall seeing was a beautiful Cheoy Lee 27. Things have surely changed there...

Good luck with your plans to escape to salt water!

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

Deb said...

Sabrina - thanks for the input. Please let me know how the iPad2 works this season.

Deb said...

Bob-

Unbelievable how small a world this is. I found your blog through a Google search just looking for a new blog to follow in my reader, and here you have coved out in our very favorite Coles Creek cove. Weird beyond belief. That Cheoy Lee 27, by the way, just went all the way down the Mississippi River, around Florida, and all the way up the East coast to Maine where it was sold. The owner still is at Boulder Marina on a Bristol 27. The lake has changed dramatically since you were there. It's silted in so the average depth is only about 12ft in the Summer pool and about 8ft in the Winter. Both of the islands at the North end of the lake have eroded away and now sit at an awful depth of 2ft below the water. Many many people go aground there. It's still a great place for us to learn and to get the boat ready to go. If you're ever back this way and want to sail, please let us know. Otherwise I hope we get to see you at some point on the water.