Monday, April 26, 2010

A good fit

I suppose I could bore everyone to tears and just list the work that Deb and I got done Fri/Sat/Sun, but that's no fun. I will say that the interior of Nomad is livable once again and it DO look good, if I say so myself. Though there is a thing or two left to do in the interior, major focus will shift to the outside of the boat so we can get her in the water as soon as possible. Nomad up on the hard is a thing seriously out of place in my life.

"Out of place..." It is an undercurrent that tugs at my shoes more and more. I'm sure some of it is due to still shaking off the winter, the boat still on the hard, weekends at the lake still hit or miss with my schedule. But I suspect part of that current runs much deeper.

Deb and I are charmed and have a life in St. Louis most of the people on our poor battered planet would love to wake up to each morning. There is absolutely nothing bad about this place we are in and suggesting any different would be even more boorish than a dry list of work accomplished. But sometimes I wonder if a good place can still be the wrong place. Maybe it isn't a matter of "good" or "bad," but simply a problem of fit and proportion. My hammer fits in the 4th drawer down in my toolbox, it won't go in the screwdriver drawer.

I think Deb and I are feeling that St. Louis, a good place with a good life and a lot of good memories, is also a place that doesn't fit as well as it once did. A day sail doesn't get us far enough off shore, a weekend isn't long enough to get to Cape Cod or New York, Annapolis or Charleston. (Can't sail from the lake to to those places anyway...bummer.) Flogging our days away so bosses and shareholders can get a little richer while we can pay an endless parade of bills (admittedly for things we do enjoy) doesn't seem as good a deal as it once did.

I am a bit out of place, but then some of you knew that already.

p.s. I went back to the marina Monday mid-day, stayed and worked until this (Wed) morning. The interior refit is complete, all that remains inside the cabin are a few repairs, repairs that can be done at the dock. I also pulled the winter cover and ran some of the sheets, just so she would look less like a project boat and more like a boat about to go back into the water.

No comments: