Sunday, September 20, 2009

A short visit

They put fresh chip & seal on the short, park-entrance road, that leads to the marina. Add a little rain (actually more than a little) and throw in me riding Deb's ZX-14 after a hard run from recurrent training in Toledo, and you get a few moments of "front-wheel-pushing-toward-the-ditch" excitement. (I had departed Toledo yesterday afternoon and made it to near Indy before running out of daylight and energy. This morning I hit the road just as the sun was broaching the horizon in my mirrors, slogged through a couple of hundred of miles of rain, and turned onto the new gravel around 10:30 in the morning. Fun ride!)

Ditching a dripping helmet and damp gloves I headed straight to the coffee pot for a fresh cup of warmth. Then I headed out on the porch to say my "hellos" to the assembled and to peel off a couple of layers of damp riding cloths. I have to admit that my heart skipped a little beat when I spotted Deb walking along the dock, heading to the clubhouse from the boat. I had been nearly a week on the road but seeing her headed my way with Nomad in the background and the lake all fuzzy in the rain induced fog, I knew I was home.

There was no wind in spite of the rain showers so Nomad didn't leave the dock. She just rocked easy while we ate lunch and caught a bit of a nap. (Dawn being a long time and hundreds of miles past!) After that we closed her up, I dumped the bags in the car, and we headed for St. Louis.

It was a short visit, but at the end of a long week? Perfect.

No comments: